Every month I will publish a post like this one that shows you how this blog is progressing and everything I have done across the month to get it there.
These reports will help me track my own progress while teaching you what to do and more importantly what not to do.
What I Have Done In October
After catching up on everything from my time off and getting things rolling again, I hit a bit of a brick wall.
I’ve spent most of October sick and have only done what was needed to be done to keep things ticking over.
Sorry for the lack of posts this month! I did try to record 2 new tutorials but I sounded like a dieing dog =\
I’ve got a great month of content lined up for November though including a post I know is going to spark some controversy ;)
I published a grand total of 4 posts which is the least amount I’ve posted since the blog started.
Behind The Scenes Blog Upgrades
I’m currently going through all 103 posts of the blog to optimise and improve them.
Specifically I’m looking at-
- On page keyword optimisation
- Tidying up SEO in general – missing alt tags etc
- Updating content
- Updating internal links
- Making every post available as a PDF
- Making every video available to download
- Deciding if a video should be converted to image/text based tutorial
I’ve done 72 posts so far and just have the tutorials category left to work through.
This should make the blog more useful for people all round and help bring in some additional search traffic.
Crunching The Numbers
So let’s get our hands dirty and take a look at what my hard work has done for me this month.
Traffic grew nicely this month from 24,778 (826/day) unique visitors to 27,468 (886/day)
This brings traffic back to just above Augusts levels (880/day) without having to do any promotion work this month.
Most Popular Content
The Ultimate Demon review made its way up the top 10 list as well.
Top Traffic Sources
Google Organic traffic remains king for the 2nd month running.
It’s good to see 4 social media platforms and 2 forums in the top 10 to help diversify things.
YouTube is still killing it in terms of traffic quality though!
Search Engine Traffic
Search traffic has risen dramatically again from 18,214 (607 per day) to 23,446 (756 per day)!
It would be great to break the 1,000 per day average in the near future!
Updating old posts and converting tutorials into multiple formats will help towards that.
The (not provided) trends continues with Google only reporting traffic from 643 keywords compared to last month’s 870.
I lost all of my historical YouTube views because of changes I made to the branding – so I keep track of them separately.
I had 18,731 views last month which rose slightly to 18,917 this month.
The main YouTube metric I track though dropped from 107,187 total minutes watched to 104,632.
That still means people spent a total of 72.5 days watching my videos across the last 31 days though!
The blog has seen a total of 24,167 shares across Facebook, Twitter and Google+ this month compared to 21,688 last month.
- Google+ – 4,365 (3,506 last month)
- Twitter – 11,768 (10,885 last month)
- Facebook – 8,034 (7,297 last month)
My Forum Statistics
There were 532 new users, 65 new topics and 134 new replies on the forum this month.
I suspected a lot of spam users last month so ran the fantastic WangGuard plugin to delete them all with ease
If you haven’t joined the forum yet, get involved!
I’ll personally answer any internet marketing questions you have!
- Users: 3,134 (2,602 last month)
- Topics: 792 (727 last month)
- Posts: 2,755 (2,621 last month)
The most important metric on the entire blog – earning a subscription from someone is the ultimate form of commitment and conversion.
This month brought 1,419 new subscribers across various channels which is down from last month’s 2,175.
I have somehow managed to lose 225 RSS subscribers this month according to Feedburner?
There are now a total of 14,254 subscribers across all of the different channels.
- E-mail – 767 (1,082 last month) / Total: 6,680
- Twitter – 192 (272 last month) / Total: 2,007
- YouTube – 309 (262 last month) / Total: 2,217
- Facebook – 126 (93 last month) / Total: 920
- Google+ – 250 (270 last month) / Total: 1,941
- RSS – -225 (196 last month) / Total: 489
Forum Promotion Posts
I did a bit of forum posting this month but what is interesting is it seems the WarriorForum admins have deleted some of my posts.
This will be because my free tutorials devalue their primary source of income – the WSO forum. I’ve got something special lined up for the WarriorForum team though ;)
- TrafficPlanet – 32 posts (407 visits)
- WarriorForum – -63 posts (461 visits)
- BlackHatWorld – 55 posts (1,966 visits)
Here are the numbers you really want to see-
- 48HoursLogo – $30.00 (case study)
- 99CentArticles – $78.94
- Ahrefs – $130.27 (my Ahrefs review)
- AuthorHreview – $107.35 (review)
- Aweber – $5.70 (my Aweber review)
- Blog Advertising – $756.00 (Advertise)
- BuyProxies – $129.00
- BuzzBundle – $801.61 (review)
- CaptchaSniper – $46.20
- GSA Search Engine Ranker – $23.56 (review / discount coupon)
- Inspyder Backlink Monitor – $151.89
- Kontent Machine – $675.94 (review)
- LeadPlayer – $81.30
- Licorne AIO – $300.00 (my tutorial)
- LinkEmperor – $485.10 (review)
- OIOPublisher – $23.50 (case study / discount coupon)
- PowerupHosting – 52.50 (discount coupon)
- Rank Tracker – $49.90
- SENuke – $126.30 (tutorial)
- SEO Powersuite – $933.58 (see my SEO Powersuite review)
- SEO SpyGlass – $49.90 (best backlink checker case study)
- SESlingShot – $150.00 (review)
- StableHost – $25.00
- TheBestSpinner – $452.00 (The Best Spinner review / discount coupon)
- Ultimate Demon – $3,025.05 (review / discount coupon)
- WP Engine – $300.00 (review)
I separate out my SEO consultant earnings from the affiliate earnings. The blog drives affiliate sales directly and whilst it does generate SEO consultation leads these are separate projects in their own right.
I took a small amount of work on from a couple of clients this month – I’m becoming more and more selective with clients moving forward.
This month I generated $964.20 in consultation earnings which is up from last month’s zero ^^
- Affiliate Income – $8,990.59
- Consultation Income – $964.20
- Expenses – $99.00
Grand Total: $9,855.79 / £6,177.63 ($6,503.01 / £4,005.05 last month)
SO CLOSE TO THE $10K TARGET GRRRRR!!!!!
For a while now I’ve been chasing down a $10,000 month and for the 4th time I fall just short – although this is the closest yet :)
It’s not like I deserved to hit it this month anyway.
If I wasn’t ill and had spent more time on content creation & promotion I would have made it for sure, but thats the way the dice roll sometimes!
Earlier in the year I started to reduce the number of clients I work with so I could spend more time on the blog. This resulted in a big hit on earnings at the time.
But now I can say that was the right decision.
Even though I’ve taken a few weeks off on holiday and then been pretty ill doing the bare minimum for the following 3 weeks – earnings have increased.
Just imagine what is possible when I’ve made a full recovery and finally get my full focus back ^^
I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for joining me on this journey.