Every month I will publish a post like this one that shows you how this blog is progressing and everything I have done across the month to get it there.
These reports will help me track my own progress while teaching you what to do and more importantly what not to do.
What I Have Done In May
After spending the last month on grinding back office tasks, I decided to take my foot off the gas this month entirely.
That is going to make for a pretty uneventful income report but it’s always interesting to see what happens to the numbers when I take a break from things.
So without further ado, let’s get into this months income report!
Dot Com Dolphins
I haven’t really written about it on the blog before, but some of you might know that I have a love for free diving and spearfishing.
That led me to buy a small 12 foot boat to whizz around on which after months of preparation and learning how to boat, was finally launched this month!
We have already put it to good use on a couple of spearfishing trips to make fresh ceviche-
But the maiden voyage was met with a warm reception when this pod of dolphins showed up-
Turns out I can’t speak Dolphin.
I have need a fair bit of dental work for a while now including multiple extractions, root canals and some weird spikey bone growing through my gums.
So I opted to go all in and arranged 3 surgeries across 4 days to take care of everything.
The only problem was each time I had to go under sedation, I couldn’t eat for 12 hours beforehand but I sure made up for that every night-
Although it wasn’t a fun few days, I prefer to get things over and done with as quick as possible which also meant I spent a week dosed up on pain killers.
I published a total of 5 posts this month which is 1 less than last month.
We started the month with the ultimate guide to freelance writing which will enable anyone to start making money online with their writing.
If that wasn’t enough then we also looked at how to start an online business that makes money in 90 days.
Other than those we just had the regular income report roundup feature and I didn’t have time to write the very best of internet marketing post this month.
Crunching The Numbers
So let’s get our hands dirty and take a look at what my lack of attention to the blog has done to the important metrics.
Traffic dropped this month from 54,826 (1,827/day) to 49,921 (1,610/day) which is a pretty big hit!
That also takes me a few steps away from my current traffic goal of 60,000 people per month steadily.
Most Popular Content
Strangely the most popular post this month was an old tutorial that shows you how to make money on Fiverr.
Top Traffic Sources
Not much has changed in the top traffic sources this month which are still dominated by organic search and social.
Although I would like to give the NicheHacks crew a shout for their mention!
Search Engine Traffic
Search engine traffic dropped from 39,562 (1,318/day) last month to 38,355 (1,237/day) this month-
I lost all of my historical YouTube views because of changes I made to the branding – so I keep track of them separately.
YouTube views showed a slight increase from 21,572 views to 22,795 views this month.
That also pushed me past the 1,000,000 views barrier-
This also had a positive impact on total minutes watched which increased from 100,006 to 100,353-
This month the total social shares across Facebook and Google+ increased from 51,551 to 52,565.
The most important metric on the entire blog – earning a subscription from someone is the ultimate form of commitment and conversion.
This month brought 2,073 new subscribers which is slight decrease on last months 2,338 new subscribers.
There are now a total of 138,168 subscribers across all of the various channels!
- E-mail – 1,204 (1,577 last month) / Total: 75,792
- Twitter – 340 (327 last month) / Total: 12,253
- YouTube – 275 (244 last month) / Total: 11,245
- Facebook – 236 (223 last month) / Total: 20,527
- Google+ – 4 (-13 last month) / Total: 17,857
- RSS – 14 (-20 last month) / Total: 494
Unable to post graphs at the moment – will update asap
Here are the numbers you really want to see-
- 48HoursLogo – $10.00 (case study)
- 99CentArticles – $89.69
- ActiveCampaign – $1.80
- Ahrefs – $354.00 (my Ahrefs review)
- Aweber – $172.40 (tutorial)
- Blog Advertising – $1,053.42 (Advertise)
- Blue Chip Backlinks – $150.00
- BuyProxies – $51.00
- BuzzBundle – $22.41 (review)
- CheapWindowsVPS – $5.35 (discount coupon)
- CMS Commander – $9.61
- Drip Revolution – $106.42 (discount coupon)
- FCS Networker – $254.54 (discount coupon)
- FreshDrop – $27.10
- GetResponse – $14.27 (review)
- GSA Captcha Breaker – $531.58 (review / discount coupon)
- GSA Search Engine Ranker – $285.29 (review / discount coupon)
- HQ Biz In A Box – $21.60
- Indexification – $3.00 (case study)
- JustHost – $320.00 (start a blog / discount coupon)
- Kontent Machine – $684.40 (review)
- LeadPages – $271.50
- LinkEmperor – $162.43 (review)
- LongTailPro – $818.02 (review / discount coupon)
- Magic Submitter – $30.34
- Market Samurai – $71.52 (tutorial)
- MyThemeShop – $338.80 (review)
- Ninja Outreach – $7.25
- OneHourIndexing – $404.27 (case study)
- OptinMonster – $39.80
- PandaBot – $106.80 (case study)
- PowerupHosting – $36.00 (discount coupon)
- PrivateInternetAccess – $38.00
- ProxyHub – $0.83 (discount coupon)
- RankWYZ – $2.60
- Raven Tools – $0.06 (case study)
- SEMRush – $277.11 (my SEMRush review)
- SENuke – $44.10 (tutorial)
- SEO Content Machine – $52.13 (discount coupon)
- SEO Dominators Club – $97.46 (discount coupon)
- SEO Powersuite – $628.21 (see my SEO Powersuite review)
- SERocket – $340.50 (tutorial / discount coupon)
- SERP Book – $18.72
- SERPed – $1,693.09 (review)
- Social Locker – $21.96
- SociSynd – $92.86
- SumoMe – $90.00 (case study)
- TheBestSpinner – $252.00 (tutorial / discount coupon)
- ThirstyAffiliates – $48.83 (discount coupon)
- Traffic Planet Hosting – $140.00 (case study)
- TweetAttacksPro – $26.80 (discount coupon)
- Ultimate Demon – $120.32 (review / discount coupon)
- URLProfiler – $191.06 (discount coupon)
- VideoMakerFX – $93.90 (case study)
- WordAI – $57.94
- WP Robot – $32.25 (discount coupon)
- Traffic Planet Hosting – $49.99 (Case Study)
- Facebook Advertising – $766.35 (Case Study)
- Twitter Advertising – $110.52
I separate out the consultation earnings from the affiliate earnings. The blog drives affiliate sales directly and whilst it does generate consultation leads these are separate projects in their own right.
I didn’t take on any consultation work this month which resulted in a juicy zero dollars!
I’m working on another project right now that is part of the blog but not something I’m ready to talk about publicly yet or maybe ever.
I will declare the income here though as it wouldn’t be possible without the blog and ‘technically’ it is affiliate income.
This month that income has increased nicely from $9,290.41 last month to $10,737.82 this month.
- Affiliate Income – $10,850.94
- Consultation Income – $00.00
- Other Income – $10,737.82
- Expenses – $926.86
Grand Total: $20,661.90 / £14,284.95 ($20,855.90 / £14,275.09 last month)
Unable to post graphs at the moment – will update asap
While I have enjoyed having some time off, I’ve got some serious work to do in the month ahead.
The problem is that in 2 weeks time I am going to Peru for a friends wedding and then a couple of friends are coming to visit for 2 weeks on the same day I return from Peru.
So that means I have got a double edged sword when it comes to work, I need to catch up with the previous month AND prepare for more time away from the computer.
I’m no stranger to grinding out long gruelling days back to back though so I will take it all in my stride no problem. After all, there is no substitute for hard work!
Thank you to everyone that has helped me reach my goals – I couldn’t do it without you, the reader!