Every month I will publish a post like this one that shows you how this blog is progressing and everything I have done across the month to get it there.
These reports will help me track my own progress while teaching you what to do and more importantly what not to do.
What I Have Done In March
March has been a very busy month as I was catching up with a friend leaving and had a number of important projects I wanted to get done by the end of the month.
Honestly I have no idea how I have managed to get as much as I have done this month. On top of what your about to read I also recorded 45 brand new videos for an upcoming course.
As of right now I am about to head out the door with a crazy travel schedule which will see me speak at a couple of conferences in Europe.
So has all that hard work paid off? Let’s find out!
This month I published a total of 8 posts which is just 1 less than last month. I still feel like I’m over doing it on the post frequency but we’ll see!
First of all we learnt 49 expert traffic generation tips that you can apply to your website instantly.
Employing the power of observation revealed the 10 things your site needs to rank in Google this year.
Last but not least 29 experts revealed their favourite link building tools for SEO.
Launched Private Blog Network Building Service
This month I launched a private blog network building service as part of the agencies offerings.
We have had great success with private blog networks for our clients in some of the most competitive niches and now we are offering that to the wider public.
You can find a bunch of case studies from our private blog networks along with some sample sites so you can get a better idea of the true power of a private blog network.
You can learn more about the private blog network building service here.
Deployed New Theme
You might not have noticed but on the 22nd of March I deployed the new theme to the blog! See if you can spot the subtle differences.
I decided not to go for a completely radical design haul and instead to bring the theme upto modern standards with some minor tweaks to reduce risk, then split test from there.
Luckily I deployed the theme shortly after getting this message from Google-
Remember if your site is not mobile responsive by April 21st Google are coming after you.
We are still testing & tweaking the new layout and I will do a dedicated post on it shortly, but in summary the new theme is-
- Mobile responsive
- Brought to modern HTML5/CSS3 standards
- Has much better scheme integration
- Is lighter weight
It seems it has had the desired effect on mobile usability anyway-
What do you think of the new theme? Did you notice it changed?
Exclusive Internet Marketing Deals Section
While I haven’t officially launched this yet I thought I would give you a sneak peak at something else I have been working on.
I have wanted to introduce an exclusive deals section to the site for a long time, so I finally did!
I reached out to nearly 200 different internet marketing companies, products & services to negotiate exclusive discounts for you all!
Please bear in mind this is still very much work in progress, I’m still negotiating deals and have a backlog of agreed deals to publish so keep an eye out!
Anyway if you want to check it out before anyone else, here it is.
I took the decision a couple of months ago to try and clean up some of the profanity on the site.
This was for a couple of reasons, firstly I want to make the site more press & news worthy overall and secondly to maintain the user experience.
I’m also wondering if this will have any impact on Google traffic at all.
I looked at a couple of options to do this including the premium WebPurify solution.
Nothing really worked very well until I came across the 100% free WP Content Filter.
I just did some Google searches for some profanity lists, merged them all together and voilà! Instant clean up across posts, comments, forums & custom post types!
Save your money if you want to clean up profanity on your WordPress blog – the free solution is the best solution.
Zac Johnson invited me to be interviewed on his podcast & asked me a pack of questions!
He has featured other people like Gary Vaynerchuk, Brian Dean, Syed Balkhi, John Chow, Shoemoney & Shawn Collins so it was an honour to be invited.
You can listen to it right here and is only 26 minutes long!
HubSpot Top 10 Marketing Blog Award
At the start of the month I got an awesome email from HubSpot.
It’s not often you get emails like that and is very rewarding to be recognised for you work!
At the time of writing the blog is ranked at #5 in the list and that makes this the 7th award the blog has received to date.
Check out where your blog ranks here.
Crazy Travel Schedule
Over the next 6 weeks my travel schedule is pretty crazy.
Actually it’s 2am as I’m writing this and haven’t slept yet, my first flight is in 4 hours but you can’t get the final numbers for the income report until midnight!
With any luck I’ll just pass out on the plane!
To give you an idea of just how crazy my schedule is take a look for yourself-
- 1st April – Costa Rica > Amsterdam
- 3rd April – Amsterdam > Manchester
- 17th April – UK Blog Awards London
- 22nd April – Manchester > Rhodes, Greece
- 3rd May – Return UK
- 4th May – Manchester > Lanzarote, Spain
- 9th May – Return UK
- 10th May – Manchester > Bucharest
- 11th May – Speak at GPeC Summit Bucharest
- 11th May – Return UK
- 16th May – Speak UnGagged London
- 23rd May – Manchester > Costa Rica
Amongst all of that I’ve still got to find time to keep my businesses running so it’s going to be a very interesting (testing) time.
It might look like I’m going on holiday but I usually need a holiday after catching up from just having a 3-4 day break.
If you are attending the UK Blog Awards, UnGagged or the GpeC Summit then let me know!
Crunching The Numbers
So let’s get our hands dirty and take a look at what my hard work has done for me this month.
Last month I hit 54,827 (1,768/day) visitors but this month that has jumped up to 65,019 (2,097/day) which is a huge month on month increase.
Most Popular Content
The how to generate traffic expert roundup took the top spot by a clean margin this month.
The 22 social link building sources article also went down a treat with you all!
That was closely followed by the 10 things you need to rank in 2015.
Top Traffic Sources
Traffic took a huge jump this month mostly from Facebook with the social referrals jumping through the roof.
Search Engine Traffic
Organic traffic from Google last month sat at 37,426 (1,336/day) visits which has jumped to 42,607 (1,374/day) this month.
I lost all of my historical YouTube views because of changes I made to the branding – so I keep track of them separately.
Views have dropped from 21,977 to 19,567 which is a declining the past couple of months.
Total minutes watched also took a knock from from 119,225 to just 99,157!
I have temporarily removed this section while I find a better solution to collect the data
The most important metric on the entire blog – earning a subscription from someone is the ultimate form of commitment and conversion.
This month brought 4,801 new subscribers across various channels which is a steady increase on last months 4,595.
There are now a total of 106,506 subscribers across all of the different channels!
- E-mail – 2,891 (2,588 last month) / Total: 56,595
- Twitter – 787 (487 last month) / Total: 8,051
- YouTube – 253 (245 last month) / Total: 7,496
- Facebook – 761 (979 last month) / Total: 16,643
- Google+ – 109 (180 last month) / Total: 17,721
- RSS – -47 (116 last month) / Total: 432
Here are the numbers you really want to see-
- 48HoursLogo – $30.00 (case study)
- 99CentArticles – $5.31
- AfterOffers – $179.50
- Ahrefs – $513.59 (my Ahrefs review)
- AuthorHreview – $279.72 (review)
- Aweber – $75.50 (tutorial)
- Blog Advertising – $1860.77 (Advertise)
- BlueHost – $65.00 (discount coupon)
- BuyProxies – $48.50
- Drip Revolution – $230.41 (discount coupon)
- FCS Networker – $19.80 (discount coupon)
- GSA Captcha Breaker – $119.47 (review / discount coupon)
- GSA Search Engine Ranker – $321.11 (review / discount coupon)
- Indexification – $13.06 (case study)
- Inspyder Backlink Monitor – $25.98
- JustHost – $240.00 (start a blog / discount coupon)
- Kontent Machine – $597.01 (review)
- LeadPages – $247.80
- Link Assistant – $56.14 (tutorial)
- LinkEmperor – $259.05 (review)
- List Builders Academy – $13.05 (case study)
- LongTailPro – $103.16 (my Long Tail Pro review / discount coupon)
- MTTB – $49.50
- OneHourIndexing – $260.99 (case study)
- OptinMonster – $39.60
- PlugMatter – $51.30 (discount coupon)
- PowerupHosting – $33.90 (discount coupon)
- Private Internet Access – $8.00
- Rank WYZ – $5.20
- Raven Tools – $0.17 (best backlink checker case study)
- ScrapeBrokers – $9.99
- SEMRush – $143.92 (my SEMRush review)
- SEO Dominators Club – $298.40 (discount coupon)
- SEO Powersuite – $341.46 (see my SEO Powersuite review)
- SEO SpyGlass – $119.90 (best backlink checker case study)
- SERP Book – $7.48
- SESlingShot – $200.00 (review)
- SimpleVideoPro – $47.52 (case study)
- Social SEO Booster – $19.97
- Social Locker Pro – $7.20
- SociSynd – $124.95
- TheBestSpinner – $154.50 (The Best Spinner review / discount coupon)
- Traffic Planet Hosting (now called WPX Hosting) – $550.12 (Case Study / WPX Hosting review)
- Tweet Attacks Pro – $310.94 (discount coupon)
- Ultimate Demon – $298.26 (review / discount coupon)
- VideoMakerFX – $13.50 (how to make money on Fiverr case study)
- WordAI – $137.33
I separate out my SEO consultant earnings from the affiliate earnings. The blog drives affiliate sales directly and whilst it does generate SEO consultation leads these are separate projects in their own right.
I didn’t take on any consultation work this month which results in zero consultation earnings.
I’m working on another project right now that is part of the blog but not something I’m ready to talk about publicly yet or maybe ever.
I will declare the income here though as it wouldn’t be possible without the blog and ‘technically’ it is affiliate income.
This earned a total of $4,784.50 which is down a lot from last months $9,669.50.
- Affiliate Income – $7,480.71
- Consultation Income – $00.00
- Other Income – $4,784.50
- Expenses – $49.99
Grand Total: $12,215.22 / £8,219.46 ($16,775.90 / £10,865.58 last month)
Well it wasn’t good to see the blog see another big drop month on month but my time has being invested elsewhere with hot irons in the fire.
I’ve got a trick or two up my sleeve for next month to help with earnings and remember those 45 videos I recorded, that is sure going to help as well =D
But for now, I have a flight to catch – Pura Vida!
Thank you to everyone that has helped me reach my goals – I couldn’t do it without you, the reader!