Every month I will publish a post like this one that shows you how this blog is progressing and everything I have done across the month to get it there.
These reports will help me track my own progress while teaching you what to do and more importantly what not to do.
What I Have Done In February
I’ve spent the last few weeks visiting friends and family in the UK along with a trip to Thailand in the middle.
With that said, you can probably guess that I haven’t been working as much as I should have done.
But it’s always interesting to see how that lack of focus affects income, so lets jump right in!
The migration process for this blog is fairly complex because I have so many different forms, lead magnets and content upgrades scattered across the blog.
Some delivered by Thrive Leads, some delivered by an old style Aweber form, some by raw inline HTML and some by LeadPages Leadboxes. So I’m moving everything over to Thrive Leads.
Not only that but because Aweber uses multiple lists rather than tags, I need to consolidate multiple lists and design a tag structure that makes sense for me.
So now I will be tagging every subscriber based on a range of actions, interests & pains based on which lead magnets/content upgrades they download and posts they read on the blog-
That will then enable me to create some very awesome and super targeted email campaigns that will improve user experience across the board.
I’ve already copied over the current email marketing setup from Aweber-
So now it’s just a case of preparing all the front end forms, making the switch and importing all the subscribers from Aweber which I will do this month.
Content creation took a back foot this month as I was traveling, but there were still 3 posts including last months income report.
I also published an update to a very popular post about building out a web 2.0 network to help rank sites.
You also learned how to perform profitable Kindle keyword research in order to create best selling books.
Crunching The Numbers
So let’s get our hands dirty and see how the blog has actually performed this month.
Last month traffic was great at 66,213 (2,135/day) however that dropped off this month to 58,943 which increased to 66,213 (2,105/day) this month.
I like to keep traffic above 60,000 per month if possible but with 3 days less in February than January I fell short of the goal.
Most Popular Content
By far the most popular post this month was the update to the web 2.0 network tutorial which stole the show.
Right behind it was the guide to making money with Fiverr.
And it’s nice to see the free SEO tools resource holding steady!
Top Traffic Sources
Not much has changed in traffic sources with a good mix of traffic coming from Google organic and social sources.
Search Engine Traffic
Last month search traffic grew to 56,285 (1,815/day) which has dropped off slightly to 48,836 (1,744/day) this month.
I lost all of my historical YouTube views because of changes I made to the branding – so I keep track of them separately.
YouTube views dropped gently from 18,638 to 16,614 this month.
That also had an impact on total minutes watched which dropped from 88,502 to 75,755 respectively.
Last month I deleted 39 posts in my content audit which saw total share counts drop from 73,606 to 73,263
This month the total social shares across Facebook and Google+ increased from 73,263 to 75,816.
The most important metric on the entire blog – earning a subscription from someone is the ultimate form of commitment and conversion.
This month brought 1,424 new subscribers which is a steady drop from last months 1,792 new subscribers.
There are now a total of 157,879 subscribers across all of the various channels!
- E-mail – 995 (1,257 last month) / Total: 87,989
- Twitter – 167 (233 last month) / Total: 15,068
- YouTube – 136 (179 last month) / Total: 13,404
- Facebook – 113 (93 last month) / Total: 22,873
- Google+ – -4 (-24 last month) / Total: 17,903
- RSS – 17 (54 last month) / Total: 642
Unable to post graphs at the moment – will update asap
Here are the numbers you really want to see-
- ActiveCampaign – $2.60
- Ahrefs – $264.81 (case study)
- Aweber – $196.04 (tutorial)
- Blog Advertising – $492.42 (Advertise)
- Blue Chip Backlinks – $100.00
- Bluehost – $195.00 (discount coupon)
- BotChief – $59.40
- BrightSpark – $143.80
- BuyProxies – $38.40
- CashCrate – $13.50 (tutorial)
- CheapWindowsVPS – $10.61
- CMS Commander – $19.201
- Domain Hunter Gatherer – $505.55 (tutorial)
- Drip – $4.80
- Drip Revolution – $247.68 (discount coupon)
- FCS Networker – $172.43 (discount coupon)
- FreshDrop – $18.11
- GetResponse – $16.17 (review)
- GSA Captcha Breaker – $370.48 (review / discount coupon)
- GSA Search Engine Ranker – $427.28 (review / discount coupon)
- GSA SEO Indexer – $31.65 (case study)
- IPVanish – $346.18
- JustHost – $240.00 (start a blog / discount coupon)
- Keyword Researcher – $47.47
- Kontent Machine – $164.50 (review)
- LeadPages – $42.30
- LinkEmperor – $67.27
- LongTailPro – $737.57 (review / discount coupon)
- MintVine – $5.84
- MTTB – $1.50
- MyThemeShop – $93.59
- OneHourIndexing – $370.04 (case study)
- PaidViewPoint – $1.07
- PandaBot – $118.50(case study)
- PowerupHosting – $12.45 (discount coupon)
- PrivateInternetAccess – $44.00
- PrizeRebel – $0.33 (tutorial)
- Product Launch Formula – $158.50
- ProxyHub – $1.80(discount coupon)
- Raven Tools – $99.33 (case study)
- SEMRush – $760.18 (review)
- SENuke – $44.10 (tutorial)
- SEO Clerks – $1.90
- SEO Content Machine – $110.38 (discount coupon)
- SEO eStore – $2.80
- SEO Monitor – $285.33
- SEO Powersuite – $537.36 (review)
- SEO Spyglass – $41.17
- SERocket – $267.60 (tutorial / discount coupon)
- SERP Book – $7.00
- SERPed – $1,048.98 (review)
- SiteGround – $50.00
- Social Locker Pro – $13.20
- SwagBucks – $2.38 (tutorial)
- TBSolutions – $5.00
- TheBestSpinner – $168.00 (tutorial / discount coupon)
- ThirstyAffiliates – $20.14 (discount coupon)
- Thrive Themes – $78.50
- TrafficPlanetHosting – $360.00
- TweetAttacksPro – $107.18 (case study / discount coupon)
- Ultimate Demon – $23.50 (review / discount coupon)
- URLProfiler – $183.46 (discount coupon)
- VideoMakerFX – $149.50 (case study)
- WordAI – $89.91
I separate out the consultation earnings from the affiliate earnings. The blog drives affiliate sales directly and whilst it does generate consultation leads these are separate projects in their own right.
This month I didn’t taken on any consultation work so made a grand total of nothing!
I’m working on another project right now that is part of the blog but not something I’m ready to talk about publicly yet or maybe ever.
I will declare the income here though as it wouldn’t be possible without the blog and ‘technically’ it is affiliate income.
Last month this was $13,477.63 which decreased to $11,302.90 this month.
- Affiliate Income – $10,239.74
- Consultation Income – $00.00
- Other Income – $11,302.90
- Expenses – $351.12
Grand Total: $21,191.52 / £17,249.90 ($24,587.94 / £19,485.94 last month)
Unable to post graphs at the moment – will update asap
While I was distracted with travelling this month it was nice to see income maintain itself above $20,000 which I was what I like to see every month as a minimum.
However that was not the only metric that took a hit, traffic was down, number of new posts was down, comments were down, social growth was down – everything was down.
So this month I am going to increase content production back to normal levels and finsh my Drip migration that will help set the stage for bigger things.
Thank you to everyone that has helped me reach my goals – I couldn’t do it without you, the reader!